Friday, September 4, 2009

Some Fatty Boombalatty on a Friday Night

I finally have some time to catch up on some things and decided to keep ahead of the game.

I needed to try something new tonight and when I reached in the fridge, the Fatty Boombalatty from Furthermore that T-Mac picked up for me jumped out into my hands.

To be honest, I didn't know much about this except for seeing the name when I've been on Casanova's website. My first real exposure to Belgian whites/wheat beers has been this year and most of them I didn't really seek out, they just found me.

I'm glad they did because prior to this summer the only one I really tried was Blue Moon and I'm gonna go ahead and say that would NOT be a gateway beer for me. It was OK when I tried it but it's never been a beer that made me want to explore the world of Belgians.

Fatty Boombalatty has to be the most full bodied, flavorful beer on my short list of Belgian exposures so far. This stuff has an array of aromas and flavors and just makes your tastebuds happy. I rated it 3.9 on Rate Beer with the following comments:
12oz bottle from Casanova. Poured with a thin white head, dark orange in color, cloudy. Strong yeast & wheat aromas with notes of spice in it. Thick mouthfeel with a very tangy yeasty flavor. Very full bodied for a wheat beer, lots of good stuff going on in this beer.
I'm not sure how available this stuff is year round and actually I'm thinking this is best enjoyed during the summer anyway. But I know next summer I'll be looking forward to drinking a lot of this type of beer.

1 comment:

  1. Belgians are some of my favorites. If you're interested in exploring wits, you should check out St. Bernardus Wit, one of the best in my opinion. You can probably find it at Four Firkins.

    And in fact, if you're interested in getting a good baseline on Belgians in general, you can't go wrong with any of the Trappists...Chimay, Westmalle, Orval, Rochefort, etc. Unibroue or Ommegang also are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete