Monday, January 9, 2012

December 24th - Nøgne Ø/Jolly Pumpkin/Stone Special Holiday Ale

Christmas Eve had rolled around finally and I got to bust out some of the beers that I had been saving for this exact holiday. The first was an unofficial entry into the MoA but still worth mentioning.

Goose Island's Christmas Ale didn't seem like the most intriguing beer since brown ales are usually at the bottom of my list of styles to try but I really liked the label and always appreciate a nod to a great holiday. The beer was about what I expected, nothing special but a solid and very drinkable example of the style.



The next beer was one I've had for a long time and was a bit nervous to try because I wasn't sure how it would hold up. Luckily, not only did it really seem to hold up well but unless I'm not remembering the last time I had this accurately, I think the flavors and aromas really came out more after sitting for awhile. This version of the Special Holiday Ale was the one that was brewed at Nøgne Ø.


This is a super unique beer that I grabbed a few bottles of because not only did it sound good but I really loved the label artwork. After sipping on this one again I'm happy to say that the beer inside definitely matched the spirit of the holiday because this stuff just tasted like Christmas. The spices really worked well, specifically the juniper.  I'm not sure if they'll ever make this one again but put it on my Christmas list if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment